Friday, October 30, 2009

Goodbyes are Hard

Today I come to you guys with a heavy heart

You may not know this but my Mom does "dog rescue".

She started in 2002 by rescuing her first dog from a puppy mill.

Some of the dogs she rescued were too old to EVER be adopted out and so she would just keep them to live out their last day/months/years at her house.

One of these dogs was Elmo.

He may not look old but when we got him he was approx. 11 years old.

He was used at a puppy mill as a "stud dog" (aka: they kept him in a cage and forced him to mate with other female dogs ALL the time)

My mom rescued him in 2003.


He had to have almost all of his teeth pulled (they were completely rotten).

He ended up losing most of his sight and most of his hearing

But he kept on kicking!

He was a part of our family
(Grover on left, Elmo on right... we had a thing with Sesame Street)
These past few months have been pretty tough. You see Elmo was now approx. 17 years old

He had a tough time walking (his little hips would just give out on him)
and so my mom bought a dog carriage for him. She would push him all around the house in that little carriage.

but after a long life little Elmo passed away this week after having trouble breathing

Mom was holding him in her arms when he passed away. I know he didn't have a great life in the beginning but I am so thankful he lived out his last years with my Mom as a pampered pooch.

RIP Elmo. You will be missed!


36 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to Elmo. I so glad that he and your Mom found each other!

    Beth...The Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting that. I cried all the way through it. I heard him bark all day the day after he died. It took almost a week for me to put the stroller up.He like the other rescues will be creamated and all their ashes will be put with our ashes when Ronny and I die. At that point, we don't want anyone stuck with them, so we will do as we told you and divide them between the 5 kids for you guys to do something special with. Please don't make brownies with them. Ha! Thanks again. We miss him so very much. He really tugged on my heart strings. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your mom's heart, I wish that everyone had such a sweet soul because the world would be a better place. I'm so sorry about Elmo! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so sad :( i'm glad he got to spend a few years in a loving home! you're mom is amazing for rescuing animals. she babied little elmo in that stoller, that is just the sweetest thing ever.
    sorry for your guys loss. elmo is now in peace.

    have a good weekend hun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, this brought tears to my eyes. So many people don't understand how special our animals are to us. On September 23 of this year we said goodbye to one of our pugs, Jesse. He was 12 and began having problems breathing (he was a very healthy dog). After a visit to the ER, a cardiologist and vet, my parents brought him home and had oxygen delivered for him. He passed away the next morning in my dad's arms. These times are hard. My thoughts go out to you and your family. Bless your mom for her efforts to rescue dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart goes out to your Mom. I know all too well what it is to lose a beloved pet and it is never easy. For me it was devastating. This brought back some very difficult memories that I have yet to face. You see me darling Tiny passed in my arms as well. But this was such a wonderful thing that your Mom did in rescuing little Elmo and giving him the most wonderful 6 years of his life. He had a long life and I know the last 6 years with your Mom made up for the first 11 he had to endure. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet post. I know he had a wonderful life with your mom! He and my sweet Bentley (He was my puggle that passed away this May) will for sure be BFFs in doggy heavean! Thinking of y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, this was so sweet. It's so great that your mom rescues dogs from their horrible lives and gives them love and support. My heart goes out to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so sorry to hear of your families loss... I think it is such a great thing that your family has done in helping these poor animals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great tribute to Elmo. Your mom is one special woman. Bless her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear of Elmo's passing.

    He sounds like he was a great little dog with a great second phase of life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy, your mom is just the sweetest and I almost cried reading this (we just recently lost our older dog who I got when I was 13) and we were also with her when she passed away. I know that Elmo knows how much he was loved by your mom and your family and probably doesn't even remember those early years. I also hope to be able to one day take in as many dogs as possible when I have a house.

    I'm so sorry for your loss, but I know that all dogs go to heaven and we'll see them again one day. So it's not goodbye forever, just goodbye for now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry for your loss, your mom is an angel for rescuing the cutest pup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so great of your mom and luckily she found Elmo and he got the life he always deserved. I love his little tongue in the first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Amy, I am so thankful that little guy found a home where he was taken care of, pampered and loved. What a beautiful tribute to him.

    And your mom rocks for providing such a wonderful home for rescued animals!

    Big hugs to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so sweet! :) Your mom is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry! Your mom is so fantastic for rescuing these animals. I'll be praying for sweet little Elmo and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your mom sounds pretty special. What a big heart she has. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so super sad. I wish I could have 100000 animals.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bless you mother. She's a special lady. She gave him a beautiful life.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bless your heart! Fur babies are hard to lose. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Chin up lovebug, you gave him a lot of love!!! Xoxo-BLC

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing the attachemnt to these furry little ones, huh? :) RIP

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so glad Elmo had found your mom. He deserved a great life! I am sorry for your lost. I know it is hard, but it sounds like you guys will have great memories of him.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your mom is a sweetheart. He was lucky to have had such a sweet end to his life! Living in the lap of luxury... :) That's how all animals should be treated!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so sorry! Hope you are feeling better. Thanks for checking out my blog and the sweet comments. I am following yours now! Come back and check it out..new stuff every day! Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a bittersweet post! My fiance and I are hoping to start an animal shelter/rescue one day very soon! Thank goodness there are people like your mom in the world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, Amy, I'm so sorry! I hope your mom is doing alright.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very sweet tribute to a dog who was lucky to have been found by your family

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my heart breaks for you! My eyes are tearing up. I am so sorry to hear of Elmo's passing. I know he is ever greatful to be rescued by your mom! Go Mom!! RIP Elmo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's so heartbreaking. I'm grateful that your mom was such a loving mommy to him after his horrendous early days. Rest in peace, little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your mom my be a fantastic lady! Thanks for sharing this! So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It sound really very bad. Your mom did splended job.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am so sorry. It's so hard, we love them so much. Please tell your mother how sorry I am and I will pray for her comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh wow.. I just got tears in my eyes.. I have such a place in my heart for dogs... Your mom is a wonderful person! I love that Elmo got the chance to be a loved, spoiled, happy dog.. You ever notice that pups from the pound and stuff live a LONG time? (My mom's current dog is 14 and we got him from the pound). I think it's b/c they know they've finally found somewhere to be truly happy and loved... I often wonder if my baby Gracie came from a mill. I was her 4th owner at 4 mos of life. Someone bought her and didn't want her.. then passed her on..then they passed her on.. and my friend knew I wanted a pup. She did puppy rescue and called me.

    Rest in peace, Elmo. Me and Gracie send love from the blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey, Jax you have said right my friend. she is wonerful person.c

    ReplyDelete

"whatever you are, be a good one"
~Abraham Lincoln

Creative Commons License
Just Add Walter by Amy Walter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.