Friday, September 11, 2009

Homemade Doggy Treats

Keeping up with the Schultz Family is doing a meme called Round Robin today where everyone shares "something". There are no rules... you can do whatever... just share something fun!


So without further ado

Gracie is the best
but sometimes her breath is not...

That's when we make homemade "minty fresh" dog treats!

First, we need supplies:

Whole wheat flour
Fresh Parsley
Fresh Mint or pure mint extract
one egg
vegetable oil
Milk
Rolling pin
Mixing bowl
cookie sheet
cookie cutters (optional)

I got all of these cookie cutters from Bed, Bath and Beyond... they come in a big box of 100

I picked these to make Gracie's treats:
G for Gracie
W for Walter
Heart because I love her
Star because she is a star

Now for the recipe:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley ( 1 whole cup if using mint extract instead of leaves)
1/2 cup finely chopped mint or 1/4 tsp of extract
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
3 tbsp vegetable oil

Mix ingredients together in large bowl.
I use a food processor for the parsley to make it really fine.


Roll dough out on flat board
(ok, the picture doesn't show rolled dough but you get the idea)
(and I realize it doesn't look very appetizing... but it is... I even tried it myself... haha)

Use cookie cutters to make cute shapes (or just make small balls).
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes!

Take out of oven and let cool.

Give them to your sweet fur baby and let them enjoy!!!

Ta-da!

Now Head over to Keeping up with the Schultz Family to see what everyone else did for Round Robin


10 comments:

  1. I wonder if Timmy would like those? Thanks for playing along. It is wonderful to have you stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome that you make such cute treats for your dog! Love it! Think I'll give this recipe to my MIL for her dogs. ~wink~

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so great! I'm going to have to make Oscar some of these treats! I love that you use the cookie cutters to make them extra-special!

    My favorite is the last picture where you're holding the treat out to Gracie! That is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will try these for sure! My dog has Sta-inky breath!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I use cute little cutters too. I have dog bone ones that I like the best :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun and a cute idea, now to get a furry baby ... LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so gonna try this!! my dogs would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh! I have a recipe for dog treats on my blog too but yours is different. I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry I'm so late in getting back over here to see you!

    I'm loving that doggie treat recipe--thank you for sharing that.

    Am copying it down--I think I may even have all of the ingredients!

    Peace, love and happiness,
    ~Jo
    "Diary Of Sad Housewife"

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I bet Chewy would love those!! =D

    ReplyDelete

"whatever you are, be a good one"
~Abraham Lincoln

Creative Commons License
Just Add Walter by Amy Walter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.