I can literally count on my two hands how many people I have told this story to... and yet now I am going to tell all of you... as you can imagine since some of my closest friends do not even know this story, I am going out on a limb to write about this... hence my struggle about posting... but I believe this story should be shared...
22 years ago today my father was killed at the age of 39.
Here is his story:
My father decided to go to a friend's party one night. His friend had recently gotten separated from her husband. Apparently at some point during the party the lady's husband showed up at the party -- mad that there were so many people in his driveway and at his house. He barged into the house and started causing a commotion. He was making a huge scene and my father asked him to leave. The guy pulled out a gun and shot my dad point blank. The bullet that hit my father was a hollow point bullet -- one that explodes upon impact. The fragments hit every single one of my father's internal organs. He still managed to somehow walk out to his car, begging for someone to help him, before he fell down and died.
The man who did this only got 3 years in jail. He was convicted of 2nd degree murder and let go for good behavior once he was in jail. Up until a year ago he lived 5 houses down from my grandmother. Everytime I went to see her, I would most likely be forced to drive by his house.
My dad's wallet was stained with his blood when he died and inside of it there is a $20 bill. I thought about for years what I would want to spend that $20 dollars on because it would be symbolic for me that my dad helped me pay for something -- perhaps my college tuition, my wedding dress, an outfit for my first baby -- I haven't spent it yet and I really doubt I ever will... it is too precious a thing for me to ever give up.
My mom has remarried to a wonderful man that has been a great father to me. I have a wonderful family and I am a very lucky person but I still think and miss my "real" dad all the time.
I wonder what my life would be like now if he were still alive. I wonder what sort of things he would have wanted for me -- if I would have made him proud -- if he had a good life even though it was so short lived.
I wonder what it would be like if I ever got the chance to speak to the man who killed him -- what would I say? -- would I grant him forgiveness if he asked? -- does he regret what he did? I used to think about writing him a letter or even stopping by his house but I was way too scared to ever do that... I don't want him to have my return address and I can't even really fathom being that close to him in person.
There are so many question and not really any good answers. I am sure I will always wonder.
Thank you to anyone who actually read any of this.... it was nice to finally be able to share his/our story.







That is such a tragic story. I am so sorry that you had to lose your father at such a young age.
ReplyDelete((HUGS))
What a horrible thing to have to experience. I am so sorry for your tragedy and loss. Thank you for sharing something that must have been very hard to write about.
ReplyDeletei am so sorry. thank you for being brave enough to share.
ReplyDeleteOh my sweetie, how difficult it must be to write this down, but maybe it is healing too. But what a tragic thing to go through, I bet you are so proud of your brave dad......hugs to you xx
ReplyDeleteWhat a tragedy. Such a random act of violence. I'm so sorry that this happened to you and your family. I'm sure it took a lot for you to share this. I truly don't think that you should ever be in this animal's presence though. I hope you find peace and your questions are answered. I also hope sharing this story helps you. God bless.
ReplyDeleteOh, Amy. I'm sure that was difficult to write but thank you for sharing with us. I will say some prayers for you and your family today. I cannot even imagine the hurt.
ReplyDeletehow strong of you for trusting us with this story! thank you. It helps us to understand you and your life better.
ReplyDeleteAlthough every year I'm sure this day is hard, I pray for peace and understanding to flow like NO other that only HE can provide. xoxo
My taughts are with you, I am glad your mom remarried and that you love the man she chose.
ReplyDeleteNothing will never replace him, but he will live on forever in your heart.
I came over from SITS and I'm glad I did. You are a survivor...and you do your dad's legacy proud. How tough to go through losing your dad at such a young age. My boyfriend also lost his dad when he was young. He went to one of the country's most respected psychics a few years ago who told him his dad was in the room with him...his dad was always with him, looking over him, guarding him.
ReplyDeleteIt seems unreal that he only went to jail for such a short time. Thanks for sharing this story.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness....I am so sorry. How awful! And that man only got THREE YEARS???? Wow. You're handling it much better than I. I'm sure by the grace of God I could forgive, but the overwhelming anger would be very difficult to deal with. I would never go confront this man alone. Chances are, (HOPEFULLY) he is a different man from 22 years ago. It may help you...it may just make it worse. Only you would know that.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you, sweetie.
Stopping by from SITS
Kerri
www.sickofmg.blogspot.com
What a terrible thing for a young girl to go through. Hugs
ReplyDeleteWhat a poignant post. I know the decision to share this tragedy probably agonized you for some time. Sending positive vibes your way...SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did.
ReplyDeleteYes, We are Watching You
oh Amy!! My heart aches for you. Thank you so much for trusting your heart with us that must've been incredibly difficult. I think you're story makes you so strong and such a beautiful person. I'm sure your father is so very proud of you. Hugs and prayers to you!!
ReplyDeleteOh Amy, I am so sorry for your loss. I can see why you struggled with the decision to post this...I think you're brave to do so! My heart goes out to you.
ReplyDeleteAmy, Thanks for sharing this story with all of us. I feel it brings me closer to you. I know your Dad is amazed by everything you have done. I bet he is watching you right now going through nursing school and is proud of all of those A's. Maybe you could frame that $20 with his story and a picture of the two of you and then you can always share his story with your family you will have..
ReplyDeleteAmy...wow. Thanks for sharing this story. I am sure it was something that was hard to do. I am so sorry for this.
ReplyDeleteMy heart breaks for you. So amazing that you are as happy as you are now, it's a testament to what a good father you had and the mother and stepfather you have.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe he only got 3 years. Doesn't seem like enough.
Stay Strong. I'll be thinking about you!
My heart goes out to you! I don't think I am willing to give advice since I have never been in shoes like that. I think I might keep the money and pass it down! I am glad you trusted us to tell us!
ReplyDeleteOh Amy, I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. I hope that it was helpful for you to share your story. You were very brave to do so. You have all of our support and endless amount of hugs whenever you need it!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear about this. Reading your post made me tear up, especially when I read how his murderer only served 3 years. What a slap in the face to you and your family! That is utterly ridiculous.
ReplyDeleteI know it can be hard to share certain things on a blog. There have been times when I've been tempted to post about a subject, but always change my mind at the last minute. Good for you for having the courage to put this out there :-)
This must have been so hard for you to write. I'm so sorry for your loss-- it's absolutely tragic. You're so brave for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out to you.
Oh,honey, I am crying such tears for you and your loss! I am so sorry you had this happen to your life, but I bet your father is looking at you now, thrilled at the wonderful woman you are.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this with us. The courage to do that is so precious!
Oh my! How heartbreaking! You are so brave to share this story. I am so very sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteOh, Amy! That made me cry. My heart goes out to you. You are so strong for sharing this story with us; thank you for trusting us with your dad's story.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure that your dad is so, so, so proud of the woman that you are and the decisions that you've made.
(((HUGS)))
Oh my word. It was so brave of you to share this with us.
ReplyDeleteI cannot imagine losing my Dad this way, and then ontop of that having to drive past his killer's home because he only got 3 years in prison. That so angers me.
My heart goes out to you.
That is such a sad story. I'm sorry for the loss of your dad.
ReplyDeleteIt's horrible that the man who did it got off so easy.
Thank you for sharing your story with us! You're a very strong person!
Thank you for feeling open enough to share something so close to you! I feel honored to have read something so private.
ReplyDeleteYou are so brave to open up and speak about this. I admire you even more and I did not think that was possible. I was so touched by this post and have tears in my eyes envisioning it. You father is always with you. I know this. His spirit follows you around. xo
ReplyDeleteYou are very brave to write this story.
ReplyDelete3 years!?!? That is just wrong.
Maybe he will guide you in a way to spend that $20 if you EVER do spend it!!
xox
Thank you for sharing this with us. What a horrible tragedy! I am appalled that the murderer was only given a 3 year sentence. That makes me absolutely sick and I don't understand it at all.
ReplyDeleteI know that your dad lives on through you in ways you don't even realize. Maybe it's the way you smile, or laugh, or even tilt your head. But there are at least a few things that your dad is sharing with you. :)
XOXO
I am so sorry to read this. What a terrible tragedy for your family, especially since the killer went to jail for such a short time. Thank you for sharing this- I know it was incredibly hard. Sending hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteAmy, I'm so sorry to hear this! Know that you are in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteohmygosh. I am so sorry.. I really have no words that I feel would be appropriate here other than I am so sorry for you and your family. Thank you so much for sharing this-sending blog hugs... a lot of them.. You're a very strong person.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for the tragic way you lost your father. But I have absolutely NO doubt that he is very proud of you! Just from this blog I can tell you are an amazing person. =D
ReplyDeleteThank you for feeling comfortable enough to share this post on your blog. I wish I knew what to say.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry about your father. I, too, would wonder what to say to the man who caused such tragedy. It would be so hard to drive by his house knowing that your life was forever altered by a decision that he made. My thoughts are with you as you struggle to find answers to this. I lost my father at the age of 6 and the circumstances were tragic and terrible too. It took a long time to make some sort of peace with it all. Maybe the $20 will spent buying something for his grandchild one day....that would be something special and something he would be proud of! Sending you a big hug...
ReplyDeleteThank you for being strong enough to share your story with us. Your father would be so proud of the wonderful young lady that you are! Love and hugs!
ReplyDeleteAmy, thank you so much for sharing this story - your story - with us. If anything, you've allowed your father's spirit to be carried on forever.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear this, Amy, but I'm amazed at the courage it took to share this post with your bloggy friends. Kudos to your for pulling that from within and for mustering up the courage to even talk about "that guy" who literally got away with murder. It's such a shame that people like that are allowed to walk around on the streets and be around people who are in such danger, too.
ReplyDeleteFunny that you mention the money, as well. I was just gifted a sum of money that was technically from my father and have decided that someday I hope to put the money towards my wedding - so that I can feel as if he's a bigger part of it.
Best of luck to you while deciding what you'd ultimately like to do with that special, special momento.
I appreciate your honesty is sharing what was on your heart. I think we do people a disservice when they ask how we're doing and we always say, "Fine." So when we struggle but everyone is "fine," then we start to think maybe I'm the only one. So when someone is honest and shares their struggles we realize that we're not the only one. That everyone has pain of some sort and we can encourage and comfort and help each other out.
ReplyDeleteThe other thought I had in reading your story is that we never know what a day will bring. Our lives can change in the blink of an eye. It's a good reminder to love and appreciate our loved ones while we still have them. God bless.
That is an awful thing to go through Amy. Very courageous of you to share. xo
ReplyDeleteOh my... That's awful I can't think of anything to say at the moment other than I'm Sorry for you. I can't imagine knowing where he lives much less driving by his house. I don't think I am as strong as you, I don't think that I could have resisted confronting him.... or worst.
ReplyDeleteI lost my Dad when I was 13 and I always wonder the same things you do, about how life would be different if he were still here, etc... thank you for sharing this!!
ReplyDeletewow. That was a tear jerker :( thanks for sharing. I am like you, I would hold on to the $20 bill forever ;)
ReplyDeletemelissa
I am crying as I read this. You are so brave for sharing this with us, I am glad you did. My heart aches for you that this man walks free today, and your dad missed out on life b/c of him. How did he only get 3 years? I would wonder the same things to, like if he feels guilty. I am happy for your mother, and happy you that she remarried such a wonderful man.
ReplyDeleteDon't ever spend the $20 bill, save it. You will regret it if you do. My mother still has the $10 bill that was in my fathers wallet when he passed.
Your dad would be so proud of you today!
xoxo,
Blair
Wow, I am so sorry.. There are no words for how sad and tragic this is. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing. Very strong of you.
ReplyDeleteoh my hun, i am so sorry to hear about this. how scary. it is sad and crazy to think about how a life can be taken instantly.
ReplyDeleteyou are such a sweet and amazing lady. i thank you for sharing this with us. it makes the blog friends feel like family. we are all here for you and thinking about you.
i hope you chose to keep that $20 forever.
i am sure your dad is your angel watching over you.
This is such a sad story. Always remember that your father is always with you, he watches over you and wants you to be happy!
ReplyDeleteOh, Amy, I cried when I read this. That is a terrible thing for anyone to have to go through, especially a young child. I'm glad that you have that $20.00 still. It just seems like something that you should keep. I am enraged that the man who did this only got 3 years in jail. I've heard so many stories of the legal system failing and if this isn't one of them, I don't know what is. It's so different when you hear the story from someone that you know. I'm praying for you during this time and know that your father must be so proud of you and is looking down on you from Heaven.
ReplyDeleteWow, there are just no words for a tragedy like this. This world is full of so many troubles and heartache-- sometimes it's overwhelming to think about.
ReplyDeleteThat is very brave of you to share with us.
I'm sure it is very normal to have all of those unanswered questions. I bet that someday (sooner than later) I will wonder what my Dad would think if he was still here.