Friday, January 8, 2010

Mortified!!

I have a quirk.... I am terrified of going into a store, picking out something to buy, and not having enough money to buy it. I have been this way my entire life. My mom used to send me in the store for a item that would cost $1.00 and I would make her give me $20.00 before going in because I was scared I wouldn't have enough money.

So usually upon entering a store I check my money several times... often making sure I have several payment options incase something happens.

Today..... my fears were put to the test.

I go to the mall to buy some scrubs and pass by Ann Taylor Loft.

Ann Taylor Loft has signs that are screaming at me: 70% off!!!

So of course I go in and find several items I cannot live without. I go up to the register with my gift card I got from from Christmas in hand.

The girl scans my items, tells me the total, and I swipe my gift card.

Girl: That's weird, its asking for a approval code

Me: Hm, that is weird. I just got this gift card... maybe that's why.

Girl: Let me call someone. (picks up phone)

SIDEBAR: about 5 people are behind me and so they open up another register.. I start blushing

(about 5 minutes later girl hangs up)

Girl: Hm, it says your card is inactive

Me: What does this "inactive" mean? I need to activate it??

Girl: No it means there is no money on it

Me: I am POSITIVE this is not true. I just got this card for Christmas. I bought something earlier for about $35 which means there is about $65 left on my card. I would like to speak to a manager

(Girl calls manager on her walkie-talkie and they are talking back and forth about me)

SIDEBAR: I am now turning every shade of red under the sun but I stand my ground.

Girl: I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps our system is down.

Me: (aimlessly looking through my wallet for my credit card because I still want my items when lo and behold what do I find??) OH.MY.GOD. That is the WRONG gift card.... HERE is the right one!!!

Girl: (looks at me like I am crazy but swipes the card) Yep, went through.............

Me: I AM SO EMBARRASSED.... oh my lord.... please forgive me.... I am sooooooooo sorry....

I was mortified! I was so adamant about my dumb gift card being the right one and I was in that line for a total of probably 20 minutes. I am pretty sure they are all still laughing at me... I am never going back there again (at least until they have another 70% off sign in the window... hehe)

Have you guys ever done something like this?


25 comments:

  1. Oh my word that is one of my biggest fears as well. I even go as far as calling the number on the back of the gift card before I go up to the register because I am THAT paranoid.

    I had an incident similar to that at Walmart and I was sure they were going to have to peel me off the floor I was so embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! I have never thought of that as being embarrassing, so it is so funny to me that you got so embarrassed!! I feel so bad that you were blushing!! I HATE blushing. Blushing makes me just blush more.

    But I'm glad you found the card that worked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES I've done something like that too, at the airport. They said I wasn't on the next flight and I said WHAT? NO WAY! NOT POSSIBLE! and gave her my itinerary. It turns out I had looked at the wrong time and I had already missed my flight. Oops. I turned several shades of red as well, and they were totally smirking at me.

    But there are so many times when they are wrong and not us! I had 3 norstrom gift cards and none would work. The lady looked at me as if I was a crook, but it turns out the whole gift card system was down. Hmph! So I guess life balances out! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too funny! I have never had anything like that happen, but I have similar fears about getting to the register and finding that I've left my wallet at home. That actually DID happen once, but thankfully Chris was with me and he had his :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny! OMG! I totally just realized your blog is called just add Walter, not water! I have always thought that is what is said! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww, don't worry about it :-) and I am the exact same way about money! I worry that I won't have enough and I always take a lot more with me just to make sure. I thought I was the only one that way! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear! That is funny. :) Yes... something similar has happened to me. I didn't realize I had a $250 limit per day on my debit card (supposed to be a 'safety' thing in case it was stolen). While Christmas shopping, I was totally embarrassed at the GAP because my card wouldn't go through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was at Target and bought a bunch of stuff. When I went to pay for it all, I couldn't find my debit card. I thought I would write a check...guess what? No checks in my checkbook! I could have put it on my credit card, but I was flipping out because I couldn't find my debit card. I left without the stuff came home, tore my purse and house apart. And then called my husband "I lost my debit card." He said..."Didn't you take it out of your jacket pocket when we got gas at QT?". I went and checked the jacket and there it was....I felt relieved and DUMB!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So embarrassing especially since you asked to speak to the manager!!
    It does sound like something I would do though!! Haha. Glad you still got your stuff though!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you poor thing! Good for you for standing your ground (cause you thought you were right, even though you weren't).

    I get embarassed easy and avoid them at all costs, so I admire you greatly:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. bless your heart! Did you ever get the scrubs you went after in the first place?????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that happens to the best of us. Don't worry about it!! You probably made their day more entertaining. Unless of course you were a total b%*&# about it, which it doesn't sound like!! And if you were, well then what can you do but laugh it off!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH, I totally understand that fear! But it could totally happen to anyone! Never fear! Honest mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm the same way about money. I check my bank account a few times a week; pay my credit cards online every two weeks. I'm methodical when it comes to saving money and paying bills. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Something similar just happened to me! I pride myself on getting through the check out in Wal-mart quickly. Last week I went, went to the counter, and realized after everything was rung up that I didn't have my credit card and I didn't have enough cash! I had to keep handing things back to the cashier until I could pay for it. I was so embarrassed! I know exactly how you felt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh this so funny! I'm so sorry this happened. It has happened to me so many times with starbucks. It doesn't embarrass me but we all have our quirks! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am on the other end of that situation quite often. Customers submit cards all the time that are either invalid or have no value. I always treat them with dignity and respect because I know how it feels to be on the other end and I would never want to embarass anyone. 99% of the time it's not their fault anyway, it's a mistake. I hate it when people in retail try to embarass a customer or make them feel badly. Doesn't keep people coming back now does it? I've seen lately that a lot of people are giving gift cards that were never activated.
    Not sure what that's about but I always hate being the one to tell them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh girl! This post made me laugh so hard because I can totally see this happening to me! Bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness! I totally feel for you, Amy because I am the same way. I went to the grocery store last week and I thought my wallet wasn't in my purse. I had one of those freak out moments thinking, "I'm five people deep in this line! What am I supposed to do? Run out to my car?"

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know how you felt but it was a simple mistake.
    No one knew you and they won't remember you so just let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Don't beat yourself up too bad , that could happen easily! Just laugh it off ;) and be proud for all the money you saved!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG, I have the exact same paranoia!! I have no idea what its from, but I do the same thing, check my money as I'm walking in the door...lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Its a common occurrence..its just happens..we often do mistakes like these..

    Cheer up!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Eh, who cares what they said about you after you left. YOU GOT SOME AWESOME DEALS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. HAHA! The same thing happened to me two days ago at Anthropologie...It was awkward...

    ReplyDelete

"whatever you are, be a good one"
~Abraham Lincoln

Creative Commons License
Just Add Walter by Amy Walter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.