Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Baking with Amy

Anyone that knows me well knows that cooking/baking is NOT one my strong points. You think my blog name is funny, but it is actually a pun on the way I cook -- JUST ADD WATER is usually the best I can do.

HOWEVER, times they are a-changing.

A few weeks ago, Justin and I made a cake from scratch on our anniversary and it turned out GREAT! So I am going to share the recipe with you guys!


STEP 1: Put on matching (monogrammed) aprons

RED VELVET CAKE RECIPE
2 eggs
2.5 cups of self-rising flour
1 cup buttermilk
0.5 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
(2) 1 oz red food coloring
1.5 cups sugar (or splenda)
1 tsp cocoa
1 tsp white vinegar

  1. Mix together eggs, sugar, flour, baking soda in one bowl
  2. In separate bowl, make a paste of cocoa, vinegar and then add to first bowl
  3. In separate bowl, mix buttermilk, vanilla, oil, and red food coloring
  4. Add it all together and mix with electric mixer (we actually didn't use enough food coloring because I forgot to get 2 oz. worth - so ours turned more pink than red)
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. (We did 2 layers).

CREAM CHEESE ICING
1.3 sticks butter
10 oz cream cheese
1 lb. box confectioners sugar
  1. Combine and beat with mixer until fluffy and then refrigerate
  2. Eat all leftover icing in the bowl

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER!
  1. Lay down one layer, put icing on top
  2. Put down another layer and put icing on top and all around
  3. TA-DA!!! This cake helped us to have a GREAT anniversary.
NOW IT'S TIME TO EAT!!

It seemed overwhelming, but it turned out really well and I was so proud of us!!

*****
30 day shred update.
Day 7: oh my, I made it a week!! WOOHOO!! I also had a 1 hour Zumba class followed by the shred. I really do think Zumba helps me with Shredding. I guess it warms me up so much that it makes Shredding so much easier. I am just proud that I made it a whole week. I'm on my way now!

PS: this cake should not be eaten while on the 30 day shred... hence why it was my last hurrah before starting the shred. It was TOTALLY worth it too!


21 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this recipe, I've never made red velvet cake from scratch!

    great job on working out, keep it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love red velvet cake, but I always cheat and make it from the box. I need to try making it from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!! This looks good! I love the monogrammed apron step!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how fun!! you two are too cute!!
    the cake looks delicious!! i have never had red velvet cake :( send me a piece, please?! ;)
    glad you two had a happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Hubby and I made a cake together on our anniversary, good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y'all, in your monogrammed aprons, are just too much!! Love it! Thank you for stopping by my blog and following and entering the giveaway! I'm following you now, too!

    Hope you're having a wonderful day, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously that cake looks wayyyyy too yummy! Hopefully I can brag with you next week about 7 days on shred ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm I love some red velvet cake :) Baking isn't nearly as difficult as it seems, I promise ... it just takes some practice, and getting used to. Same with cooking. Just remember that with cooking, it's way easier to fudge on ingredients and measuring ... with baking, I always stick with the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH my gosh! I love the step by step with pictures! ANd the matching aprons! My husband does a lot of cooking, so I should totally get us matching aprons! :)
    He likes me to help him, but when I am cooking I like to do it alone, but I am trying to get more patient so we can do it together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. maybe you can shred for me and i'll just eat all the cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. y'all are too cute in your matching aprons thanks for your sweet comment on my post. I've been missing your blog in my reader somehow so I've got some catching up to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you too are just adorable! I am still waiting on my 30 day shred dvd to come!

    ReplyDelete
  13. loved this post. It looks so pretty and yummy..

    Keep on going girl..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pink velvet cake, ha ha! I have only ever made one cake from scratch... it turned out OK, but not great because I didn't use cake flour. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, I am loving the monogrammed aprons!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is SO adorable! And looks so good. :) I just started doing Zumba last week and my goodness it is hard! I want to curl up in a ball and die afterwards; I can't imagine how you do the Shred as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YUMM!!!! You look like a pro in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Y'all are too cute!! How much fun was that and that cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YUMMY!! I posted a recipe for a red-velvet cake back in March on my thursday treats recipe :) ONE OF MY FAVORITES!!!!

    http://wp.me/pFFiq-5T

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you two had a great time baking. Red Velvet mmm...
    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

"whatever you are, be a good one"
~Abraham Lincoln

Creative Commons License
Just Add Walter by Amy Walter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.